Congratulations! Your decision to enter into the relationship of married life is a serious one, and serves as a wonderful sign of hope and strength to our faith community. While your decision has been reached only after much discussion and prayerful thought, it is but the first step in the process of building a successful marriage. The love you have privately come to realize and share is now to be made public as your family, friends, and parish prepare to support and encourage you in the celebration of your wedding. Engagement is a special time – a time of love and preparation. It should be a happy time, a time for enjoying each other and storing up precious memories. It is a time of richer dialogue, greater trust and fuller sharing of your deepest and most personal values. It is a time for reflection and prayer.
Because the Catholic Church and your diocesan community wants couples to form strong, lasting marriages, all engaged couples wishing to marry in the Diocese of Covington are required to:
- Contact the parish priest at least nine to twelve months before the wedding to set an initial appointment and to start your marriage preparations at the parish.
- Participate in St. Mark Parish’s marriage preparation program.
- Attend an approved Diocesan Marriage Preparation Program three to six months prior to the wedding.
- Since marriage preparation programs often fill quickly, please register two to three months before the program date.
- Attend a certified Natural Family Planning course. It is preferable to attend this course after attending the marriage preparation program, if possible.
- NFP courses require a three month commitment and fill quickly, so register early.
Begin by calling the parish office; at least six months in advance is suggested. To schedule a meeting and a wedding date: please contact the parish office at 859-623-2989 or firstname.lastname@example.org.